Monday 24 March 2014

Windjana Gorge

We just had  our last week in Derby, and we greatly enjoyed the opportunity to see Windjana Gorge. The road in was pretty rough, and I did hit my head a few times when we bounced real hard, but altogether we managed it fine. We were going with a friend from church and, they were driving a Navara. It was a huge difference in comfort, compared to the Trusty Transit but I enjoyed the drive back in comfort!!.

We brought lunch out with us, as it was cooking before we had planned the excursion, and we had lovely lamb shanks while being bitten by ants (greatly improved the flavour!). After packing up from our lunch, we set off for the gorge. The walk to the gorge (although short) was very scenic, with the towering ranges just ahead of us. We passed through the rock tunnel, and they emerged onto a wide sandy beach. It was lovely and cool, with the trees and ranges providing plenty of shade. The sand was nice and soft between out toes, and it was altogether a thrilling place to relax in.

Where we had picked to go for a swim, was really muddy and the entrance into it was really steep. Intending to check out the water, just a teency little bit, I plopped straight in and just manage to stop myself from falling in completely. I was intending to see if it was worth it before I got changed into swimmers, but it totally was. I got my dress wet, so I didn't really have a choice now.

The main attraction of Windjara gorge was the freshwater crocodiles, with one of the highest density of freshwater crocodiles in WA.Sadly, all the crocodiles had gone, but it was sort of a relief as we were all to hot not to have a swim. The big cave up the top is apparently where Pigeon (Jandamurra) used to hide out.


No comments:

Post a Comment