Monday 10 March 2014

Mishaps on the Road

Just recently, I fell out a tree while climbing it. That unfortunate (and painful) episode led me to thinking about all our mishaps on the road. If you’re wondering why most of the accidents have happened to me, and Joel, is because I find it hard to remember so many great experiences, an I can remember my accidents best. Joel simply likes to talk, so I know all his and get reminded of them every now and then, just so I don’t forget!!

Granite Island:
We had stopped at Victor Island for a stroll, and we decoded to head over to Granite Island to get some good views over the ocean. Joel (as usual) decided to take his fishing rod and flick a lure into the water on the way over. On the way back to the mainland, Joel somehow managed to get his treble hook stuck deep into his jacket!! We all had a go it at, but then gave it up and Joel started to walk back to the mainland, with his fishing rod tip bent down, as he tried to free it. He luckily managed to free it by ripping his jumper, and then he had fun flicking in lures again. Didn't catch catch a fish but caught a cracker jumper


Batlow:
At Batlow Caravan Park, there was a little stream out the back of the caravan park, and Joel found a log bridge that crossed the stream. I had already crossed and recrossed it several times, and getting a bit cocky, I learnt a bit too far, and fell. I managed to hold onto a tree branch, but then I slipped and landed on my bottom in the icy cold mountain stream. Sadly, there was a sharp rock where I landed, and I had a bruised bottom during the first weeks at the snow, which was not very helpful, but instead rather painful hen I fall over (quite frequently trust me).






Cubbaroo:
At Cubbaroo, we had the experience to ride horses while mustering. We were riding an old horse, but it was quite stubborn and determined. One time while mustering, Joel was chasing up a big mob of cattle through thick wooded country, when Red (the horse he was riding) ran him straight into a tree. Joel fell off, and managed to scratch his hands. Joel, a true bushman, jumped straight back on and rounded them all up with the help of the motorbike and chopper. 

Another time, I was mounting and didn’t use enough 'oomph' to get into the saddle. I slipped, and fell flat on my back, while Red shied. Phew, horses look big when you’re lying on the ground!!
The Arrow shows where my hand was when
I fell.
Derby:
Just recently, while getting down from a tree, I managed to fall down. I fell about 2 metres, and landed on a hard root, bruising my bottom (again!!) and jarring my shoulder and arm. I had hurt the muscle in my arm, and it is still stiff and sore. Concerned about my arm, mum and dad took me to the hospital, and we had our first hospital visit while travelling. Luckily, nothing was wrong with em other than a sore arm, and a sore bottom. I reckon I just had to check out what is considered the best hospital in the Kimberly, so I conjured up a good excuse to go!!



No comments:

Post a Comment