Thursday 19 June 2014

Backtracking to the Pinnacles

So I must admit, I completely and utterly forgot about a very important event that happened between Jurien Bay and the Moore River rest area. It just flew out of my mind, and only just landed. Thus, this post we are going to have to backtrack to Nambung National Park, an odd 40km south of Jurien Bay.

It was a rainy day, getting a bit cold, when we visited and luckily the fee was waved. If my memory serves me right (and I'm pretty sure it does) it was because of Western Australia Day. Lucky!!

Anyway, I had no idea (please don't laugh too hard) what the pinnacles actually were, so when the girls started asking about the Pinnacles I told them they were just huge mounds of sand like termite nests. Bad choice of words, because then the little girls started complaining about having to go see giant termite nests, which they had seen plenty of!!

Anyway, we'll skip my ignorance, and move on to the actual Pinnacles (not the humongous piles of sand I had just described) which are spire-like fingers of limestone. With the grey sky providing a good contrast, the sandy colour of the limestone seemed to appear deeper, and looked especially good in photos.

As rain was hanging around the area, we opted to just go for the drive, although the walk looked fun. Leaving our caravan in the car park (at the recommendation of the person at the gate, and good advice too!!) we set off on the loop winding it's way through the pinnacles. The track was narrow, and we could only just get out Transit through, so were glad that we had left our caravan behind.

The Pinnacles were like anything we had ever seen before, especially because they were fingers of limestone (not sand and dirt). We stopped several times to get out and admire, and took some photos. We stopped off at the lookout and marveled at the desert sand hitting the ocean sand. It was really something.

Then we had family photos.................

As we were actually driving in to the lookout, we saw Chloe and Tahlia's friends from Jurien Bay. We actually saw them later on in Perth too!! What a small world sometimes.......


We finished off our trip to the Pinnacles by having a look at the Desert Discovery Centre, where we gained a better understanding of all the flora and fauna in the surrounding area.

Alright so I'm pretty sure I haven't left anything out, so next time I will probably move on to Rockingham without having forgot anything.


See ya next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment